Carbon Monoxide

More often than not, you don’t know you’re in danger. Carbon monoxide is the deadliest of deadly; it’s the silent killer.

Carbon monoxide is produced whenever fuel, such as gas, oil, kerosene or wood is burned, typically seen as incomplete combustion in household appliances like furnaces, boilers, water heaters, stoves, ovens, fireplaces as well as automobiles, making it impossible to detect with our senses. The amount that’s produced depends on the quality of that is burning. A poor burner or improper ventilation will build up high concentrations of carbon monoxide in the home. You can’t smell it, so you don’t know that anything is happening.

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is typically misinterpreted as flu, food poisoning, allergies or asthma and even chronic fatigue. The symptoms can include:

  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Drowsiness
  • Dizziness
  • Vomiting
  • Tiredness
  • Pain
  • Cramps
  • Sleep Disturbance

Tips To Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones

  1. Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
  2. Have your appliances checked and serviced by a reputable heating company.
  3. Do not use appliances such as kerosene heaters or barbecue grills in the house.
  4. Do not leave a running vehicle in the garage to heat. To insure fumes are not kept in the garage, remove the vehicle once it has been started.
  5. Test CO alarms at least once a month; replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
  6. During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.

Heise Heating & Cooling is dedicated to providing the best possible heating

solutions and maintenance for your home or business. Call us at 573-335-2265 to

schedule your maintenance visit today!